Friday 29 January 2016

Marina and the Diamonds!

As an artist grows, in age, or popularity, their music grows with them. Their music reflects the changes, addressing different issues one would face at different times in their lives. I like how Adele has named her albums. 19, 21,  and 25. Her age when she released them. Today, I'm going to *cracks knuckles* start writing about Marina Diamandis, from the Marina and the Diamonds fame. Especially her growth as an artist, taking a look at her music, with the help of the three albums she has officially released up till now. What I'll share, are strictly my points of view. But first, a little more about her!

I know it sounds weird, but I was introduced to Marina on Instagram. I happened to read a few of her lyrics, first, and then decided to check out her music. I never expected half of what I ended up hearing. I read up later that she considered herself  to be an indie pop artist. Fair enough. I personally, absolutely, adore her. If you're someone who loves pop, but also like things to be indie; you will love her music. 


What I loved about her music, was how her songs were based on extremely realistic topics. Her metaphors are simple, but she uses them to talk about complex emotions. Of course, they deal with what she might have gone through, as an artist; But if you sit back, and give her songs a good listen, you may just be able to relate to them. With that, comes the very popular feeling of realizing that you aren't alone, and there are so many others out there, just like you. Marina used 'Diamonds' to define the band members she'd sing with, initially. With the rise of her fame, her fans began to call themselves her diamonds. I guess Marina is OK with that. Her fan base is largely comprised by youngsters, 15 - 25 old of age. I see Marina, and I'm sure her fans will agree, as a complete trash, who knows whatever she's all about, and in her this realization, she is projected as someone who keeps things brutally, but elegantly, real.

Marina is a completely self made artist. She wrote her songs from scratch, and gave it music, all on her own. She used Apple's Garageband to start this journey, using la la la la loops, everybody. But I can't complain. She had a natural flair at writing some neat lyrics. She got off with a rough start but her music was finally discovered, due to which she was able to sign a record deal. She made sure to make music with people who would respect her choices as an artist. All her songs aren't made in the generic pop song making way. She tries to write her songs like poetry, her lyrics coated with strong messages, that many, especially girls, will relate too! 

In the next few posts, I will write about what I've felt about the three albums she has released till now. I'll share more about what I think was probably happening in her life when she wrote the songs. I've done this in my mind, a countless amount of times. It shall be fun trying to write them down! Let's begin.

~

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

1 comment:

  1. Did you just do a critical analysis? I'm almost proud.

    ReplyDelete